The Harley BuildingImages1 / Information
Location 79 New Cavendish Street, London W1
Status Completed 2017
Squire and Partners has refurbished a neglected building at 79 New Cavendish Street to create new flexible work and boutique retail space on this prominent corner of Fitzrovia. Built as a residential mansion block in 1910 – later remodelled and converted into offices in the 1960’s – the practice’s design approach sought to retain the character of the original building.
Externally, the brick and stone façade has been extensively cleaned and refurbished, and new full height windows introduced to create light-filled workspaces. A canopied entrance and bronze framed windows animate Cavendish Street and Hallam Street. At the top floor, a slate-clad mansard provides characterful office space with far reaching views.
Internally, a highly crafted reception area is characterised by chevron pattern limestone flooring, bronze reception desk and lift walls, and a large-scale commissioned artwork by celebrated British artist Clare Woods. A bespoke light feature composed of hand-blown glass illuminates a restored terrazzo stairwell, which extends the full height of the building. At the corner of the ground floor, a generous retail space is designed to animate the street.
Generous cycle storage is located at lower ground floor along with changing, storage and shower facilities. Outdoor spaces include two fourth floor terraces and a large rooftop area lined with planted greenery, allowing views across London.
Client Harley Property Holdings Ltd
Project Manager TMCT Associates
Planning Consultant Gerald Eve/Turley
Light Installation Feix&Merlin
Quantity Surveyor Jackson Coles